Allowances & other benefits
Having a baby can be an expensive business, which is why it's well worth figuring out how to take advantage of the various allowances, bonuses and other benefits you may be entitled to.
In this section you can find out more about:
- birth allowance ('prime de naissance' / 'kraamgeld') - one-off payment of over €1290 per child born, paid by the family allowance agency;
- adoption allowance ('prime d'adoption' / 'adoptiepremie) - one-off payment of over €1200 per child adopted, paid by the family allowance agency;
- mutuelle bonuses - including birth/adoption bonus (‘allocation de naissance' or 'allocation d'adoption’ / 'geboortevergoeding' or 'adoptievergoeding') - a one-off payment of around €300 per child from your mutuelle - and a breastfeeding bonus from some mutuelles;
- family allowance ('allocations familiales' / 'kinderbijslag') - monthly government payments per child;
- free domestic help before and after the birth or after adoption.
Your baby's birth must be registered within 15 calendar days at the commune in which he/she was born, not the commune in which you live.