Breastfeeding may be the most natural way to feel your baby, but it definitely doesn’t always come naturally! And remember that each mum-baby breastfeeding relationship is different, so some mums may find that history doesn’t repeat itself – whether for better or worse!
Getting the right advice and support early on can make all the difference, so that the choice of if, and how long to breastfeed for is entirely up to you (and your baby).
For assistance with breastfeeding you can contact:
- a registered IBCLC lactation consultant – an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is a healthcare professional who is highly trained and experienced in the clinical management of breastfeeding and lactation. It is usually midwives who pursue this qualification, but some pediatricians and nurses are also IBCLC consultants.
Here are some IBCLC lactation consultants in Brussels and the surrounding areas who can support you at any time in your breastfeeding journey:
- Elke Van Den Bergh from Zwanger in Brussels
- Hannah Kurz from Antenatal and Baby
- Jo Everatt from Antenatal and Baby (mainly online consultations)
- Joke Muyldermans from InTeam in Hoeilaart
- Sophie Goubau in Auderghem
- Gon Balis in Duisburg
You can also find registered IBCLC lactation consultants in Brussels and Wallonia (external link in French) and in Flanders (external link in Dutch).
- an independent midwife who offers breastfeeding support – read more about finding a midwife.
- a doula who offers breastfeeding support – read more about finding an English-speaking doula.
- if you are a BCT member, you can contact English-speaking BCT breastfeeding counsellors, who have been trained to give mother-to-mother support.
- breastfeeding support associations such as:
- La Leche League
- international website – useful ‘Resources’ section
- French-speaking Belgian website – via this website you can currently find an English-speaking counsellor
- Dutch-speaking Belgian website
- Infor-Allaitement – in French
- Vereniging Begeleiding en Bevordering van Borstvoeding (VBBB) – in Dutch
- La Leche League
The website Kellymom also offers a wealth of evidence-based information on breastfeeding.