Doulas provide emotional, physical and informational support to women during pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period. While the practice is not very common yet in Belgium, it’s possible to find trained and experienced English-speaking doulas who can accompany you on your journey into parenthood, while always respecting your choices and wishes.
This section looks at:
What can a doula offer me?
Having a doula by your side can bring a great deal of comfort and reassurance, whatever stage you are at in your journey. And most doulas are happy to support you in all kinds of situations, including:
- pre-conception, before you even start trying to conceive
- trying to conceive (including after a loss)
- having difficulty conceiving
- undergoing fertility treatment
- loss of a baby
- elective termination
- pregnancy, including birth preparation
- labour and birth – read more here
- postpartum period
Read more about the many ways a doula can support you during pregnancy, birth and early parenting in our article When and how can a doula help me on my journey?.
Curious what the research says about doula support? You can find out more in our article What does the research say about doula care?
Finding a doula in Belgium
Flemish-speaking and French-speaking doulas have their own associations, through which you can find a doula, and many of these doulas will also speak English.
Get in touch with a doula to find out if she serves your area and which languages she speaks.
- Association francophone des doulas de Belgique – francophone association of Belgian doulas
http://doulas.be/wp/trouver-sa-doula/ (in French; possible to search for doulas in Brussels and Wallonia, by region)
- Vlaamse Federatie van Doula’s – Flemish doula federation
https://doulasite.be/vind%20een%20doula/index.html (in Dutch; possible to search for doulas in Flanders)
You may also be able to find a doula:
- by asking friends, colleagues, acquaintances – if you’re a member of the BCT, ask your local group
- by asking your independent midwife